10. Our family food fave analogies always follow the same formula: I like _______________ as much as hobbits like mushrooms.
9. Entirely too many family dinner discussions cite Silmarillion references. In great detail.
8. Family members look for ways to sneak words like “clad” and “strode” and “smite” or “smote” into every day conversation.
7. We each can describe the cover art on the first Lord of the Ring trilogy we ever read.
6. Some of our kids’ favorite childhood memories are of reading Tolkien (not only The Hobbit, but also the trilogy and The Tolkien Reader) out loud as a family.
5. When a family member swallows loudly at any meal, everyone else at the table calls him or her “Gollum.”
4. We have a family tradition of watching the entire trilogy at some point during Christmas break to commemorate the original releases and our first viewings of the movies in December of 2001, 2002, and 2003.
3. The under-the-stairs closet with it’s 3 foot high door was immediately dubbed “the hobbit closet” when we moved here in 1991.
2. We agree that Spock and all other Vulcans are Middle Earth elves in disguise.
1. In this family, the word “precious” is uttered in a reedy voice with long, drawn out hisses.
Is your family comprised of Middle Earth fans? Leave a comment to describe how you know.