The Man of Steel and I went a little wild and crazy celebrating Labor Day, 2016. Not only did we visit the health food store and then order our favorite drinks at our favorite coffee shop, but we also took an early morning walk the High Trestle Trail. Here are 10 reasons for central Iowans to consider a September walk on the trail. For those of you who live far, far from the most beautiful spot in the world, many of the reasons apply to a walk in the woods anywhere.
10. Walkers who have horse phobias have no reason to be paranoid on the High Trestle Bridge.
9. This is a proper Iowa trail paved with smooth cement, and benches are strategically placed along the way for those who need to rest now and then.
8. Signs along the way let you know how many of the optimum-for-health daily 10,000 steps you have walked.
7. Wildflowers along the way will put you in a good mood.
6. Someone created the coolest bike racks ever along the path, too.
5. Fall colors are beginning to peek through with the enticing promise of spectacular autumn foliage.
4. If you stay alert, you might see late summer fawns with their mommies.
3. The sumac, oh, the sumac.
2. The view of the Des Moines River from the bridge is breathtaking.
1. The High Trestle Bridge is a beautiful work of art.
Where do you like to walk in the fall? Leave a comment.